A much-needed shake-up of Tumblr #Politics editors has taken place today, less than a day after I post this documenting another editor’s (Ryking) penchant for vile behavior (and echoing Jeff Miller’s offer to resign if Ryking would do the same), and a petition to remove the same editor was circulated (and received thousands of signatures in only a matter of hours).
Clearly, the Tumblr staff has acknowledged the problem… though Tumblr seems to have taken the throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater approach, as almost all editors have been replaced. Hopefully this means that the quality of the #Politics tag will improve as most of the bigger offenders are no longer editors.
The composition of the current crop of editors is improved, but certainly not ideal. Letterstomycountry happily remains. Although we disagree philosophically on certain issues, he tends to be fair and smart. Professor Ari Kohen could hopefully be a good addition. Our past misunderstandings and disagreements aside, he certainly has the capacity to at least keep the posts relevant. Huskerred is another welcome addition who has evolved over the last year or so to become quite the thoughtful and considerate blogger. However, as far as I can tell, he is the only editor who is neither a leftist/Democrat or corporate (statist) media. Further, every single editor is sympathetic and supportive to the state at least in some form or another. In fact, there don’t seem to be any actual (economic) libertarians or anarchists represented. And as an anarcho-capitalist, I may have been the first, but hopefully I’m not the last completely anti-statist editor of the tag.
Also, motherjones, who was part of the original batch of editors, has returned for a second go.
I think the tag would be more interesting and better served if individual bloggers - and not media entities - with a greater variety of political perspectives were editors.
In any case, I look forward to fewer posts like these making their way onto the #Politics tag and hope that the political discourse among us becomes much more civil.
- kohenari likes this
- anticapitalist likes this
- stfuconservatives likes this
- pendark likes this
- section9 likes this
- wooliebear likes this
- gunshinestate likes this
- iambal reblogged this from laliberty and added:
- elijahlain said: Considering the health of Tumblr’s anti-statist population, you would think it would be in their interest to include at least one editor of similar persuasion. Practiced fairness is great, but it can’t compensate completely for political biases.
- pallas-athena reblogged this from laliberty
- michaelangerlo said: If you (and hipsterlibertarian) are gone… there’s probably not much reason to bother with #politics anymore.
- sashutka1 likes this
- michaelangerlo likes this
- jgreendc likes this
- laliberty posted this